MCE Vendor
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wider than stock JK fenders?
Hello.

Any chance of wider than stock JK fenders?  May people I have talk to would like to buy your fenders but have local inspections that require the tires be inside the fenders.  Even with factory width, an aftermarket wheel and tire combo would be beyond the OE product you sell.

TIA,

SB
The root of all evil is the belief that evail exists!   Cool
(01-09-2019, 02:54 PM)StevenB Wrote: Hello.

Any chance of wider than stock JK fenders?  May people I have talk to would like to buy your fenders but have local inspections that require the tires be inside the fenders.  Even with factory width, an aftermarket wheel and tire combo would be beyond the OE product you sell.

TIA,

SB
I’d definitely be interested in these fenders if they were available in a wider than stock option! Luv the looks of MCE but I need a wider option. At this point my only real options are the Bushwacker flats or the Rugged Ridge Hurricane fenders unless I go metal. Trying to stay away from metal bc of body damage and costs.
I've been looking at MCE's for a long time for my TJ since there is some flex that will allow slightly more uptravel. Now I'm about to move to WA state and the flare laws there require my tires to be inside the flare. When the MCE website states 4.5" width, there's no stock fender anymore, so is that referring to the distance the flare extends past where the stock fender would be? If so, the 6" would probably cover a 4" BS wheel wrapped in a 33x12.5. I wonder if I could get away with the 4.5" though. Thoughts?
D30/D44, 456 Revolution Gears, PowerTrax No Slip, Eaton E-Locker, 3" OME SL, 1.25 Savvy BL, 1" MML
(04-15-2019, 10:30 AM)JMT Wrote: I've been looking at MCE's for a long time for my TJ since there is some flex that will allow slightly more uptravel. Now I'm about to move to WA state and the flare laws there require my tires to be inside the flare. When the MCE website states 4.5" width, there's no stock fender anymore, so is that referring to the distance the flare extends past where the stock fender would be? If so, the 6" would probably cover a 4" BS wheel wrapped in a  33x12.5. I wonder if I could get away with the 4.5" though. Thoughts?

I know they are not stacked like that.  Maybe Mike from MCE will jump in here.

SB
(04-15-2019, 10:40 AM)StevenB Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 10:30 AM)JMT Wrote: I've been looking at MCE's for a long time for my TJ since there is some flex that will allow slightly more uptravel. Now I'm about to move to WA state and the flare laws there require my tires to be inside the flare. When the MCE website states 4.5" width, there's no stock fender anymore, so is that referring to the distance the flare extends past where the stock fender would be? If so, the 6" would probably cover a 4" BS wheel wrapped in a  33x12.5. I wonder if I could get away with the 4.5" though. Thoughts?

SB

What do you mean "stacked like that?"
D30/D44, 456 Revolution Gears, PowerTrax No Slip, Eaton E-Locker, 3" OME SL, 1.25 Savvy BL, 1" MML
(04-15-2019, 10:44 AM)JMT Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 10:40 AM)StevenB Wrote:

SB

What do you mean "stacked like that?"

Not stack on the factory width.
Sorry for the late reply guys!

(StevenB) JK width:  We have just finished a huge project of getting inventories ramped up, and are moving onto the JL fenders next.  I've been wanting to do wider-than stock JK fenders for a long time, as you guys have mentioned, the wider tires and offset wheels push the tires outside of the stock coverage.  Thanks for your requests and voicing your thoughts, that's how we know what people need.  I can't guarantee anything just yet for the wider JKs, but the more requests we have the better.  The main holdup in plastics is the tooling expenses and efforts , so we need to make sure we could recover that with enough people who want the extra width.  

(JMB)  TJ Width:  Our widths are measured outward from the sheetmetal of the body.  For example, the 4.5" flares would stick out 4.5" from the body, which is the same as the factory Rubicon or Sahara flares.  Here's some pics showing the measuring, as well as up front by the hood latch:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/126760346@...6421337931

Here's a link to our general photo page, you can click on the TJ widths (part numbers) to show how the 3" and 6" also look.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/126760346@N07/albums

The 6" would cover the full tread with a 12.50 tire and 4" backspace wheel.  In Washington, the law does state the full tire needs to be covered, but unless you are going crazy with the exposed tread and/or the officer is looking for a reason to pull you over, they don't usually mess with you.  There are a lot of vehicles in the area that have a bit of tire sticking out.  I have only been stopped once, and that is with my current setup with almost all of the tire tread sticking out.  (JK axles under a TJ with 13.50 tires on 3.75" BS and only 3" flares)  Funny story on that, the officer walked up and said I "need fenders on that thing", and I said this is ironic as how the door says MCE Fenders and I make them, and am getting stopped for lack of them.  haha

The law also states the back of the tire must be covered at least to the center of the axle (mudflaps).  Again, this is not usually enforced unless you give them a reason to pull you over.  

Thanks,

Mike
(04-15-2019, 11:31 AM)MCE Fenders Wrote: Sorry for the late reply guys!

(StevenB) JK width:  We have just finished a huge project of getting inventories ramped up, and are moving onto the JL fenders next.  I've been wanting to do wider-than stock JK fenders for a long time, as you guys have mentioned, the wider tires and offset wheels push the tires outside of the stock coverage.  Thanks for your requests and voicing your thoughts, that's how we know what people need.  I can't guarantee anything just yet for the wider JKs, but the more requests we have the better.  The main holdup in plastics is the tooling expenses and efforts , so we need to make sure we could recover that with enough people who want the extra width.  

(JMB)  TJ Width:  Our widths are measured outward from the sheetmetal of the body.  For example, the 4.5" flares would stick out 4.5" from the body, which is the same as the factory Rubicon or Sahara flares.  Here's some pics showing the measuring, as well as up front by the hood latch:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/126760346@...6421337931

Here's a link to our general photo page, you can click on the TJ widths (part numbers) to show how the 3" and 6" also look.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/126760346@N07/albums

The 6" would cover the full tread with a 12.50 tire and 4" backspace wheel.  In Washington, the law does state the full tire needs to be covered, but unless you are going crazy with the exposed tread and/or the officer is looking for a reason to pull you over, they don't usually mess with you.  There are a lot of vehicles in the area that have a bit of tire sticking out.  I have only been stopped once, and that is with my current setup with almost all of the tire tread sticking out.  (JK axles under a TJ with 13.50 tires on 3.75" BS and only 3" flares)  Funny story on that, the officer walked up and said I "need fenders on that thing", and I said this is ironic as how the door says MCE Fenders and I make them, and am getting stopped for lack of them.  haha

The law also states the back of the tire must be covered at least to the center of the axle (mudflaps).  Again, this is not usually enforced unless you give them a reason to pull you over.  

Thanks,

Mike

That is very helpful Mike, not only about the MCE fenders, but the WA laws. I will probably just go with 4.5" when the time comes and get some wheels with 4" BS. That will be better than my current 3.625" BS with stock OEM (3.25") flares and give me a little more peace of mind. I hate that they require the mud flaps. I think that would look horrible. I think I'll just try to get away with it. At the same time maybe work on modifying a set that would be relatively discrete and easily removable. I mean, who is going to go offroad with mudflaps?
Glad to be of help, JMT. You are also on the right line with the mudflaps. There are thousands of Jeeps and trucks running around without mudflaps (myself included), but technically they are needed. Most Jeepers that do run mudflaps have a quick disconnect setup so they can pull them for offroad. Will you be going to 35s then? If so, the 35s may rub the control arms at full steering lock with 4" BS. Doesn't hurt anything, or you can adjust the steering stops slightly. I ran 35s for years with 4.5" BS and just dealt with the full turn rubbing. My good friend now has those tires and wheels and does the same.

What part of Washington are you moving to? Fortunately, there is a lot of 'wheeling here.

-Mike
(04-16-2019, 09:30 AM)MCE Fenders Wrote: Glad to be of help, JMT.  You are also on the right line with the mudflaps.  There are thousands of Jeeps and trucks running around without mudflaps (myself included), but technically they are needed.  Most Jeepers that do run mudflaps have a quick disconnect setup so they can pull them for offroad.  Will you be going to 35s then?  If so, the 35s may rub the control arms at full steering lock with 4" BS.  Doesn't hurt anything, or you can adjust the steering stops slightly.  I ran 35s for years with 4.5" BS and just dealt with the full turn rubbing.  My good friend now has those tires and wheels and does the same.  

What part of Washington are you moving to?  Fortunately, there is a lot of 'wheeling here.

-Mike

I’m planning to come up to WA first and wheel for a bit. See how things are. My build plans have been to do a TT next. I’ll probably stick with that. A TT can’t hurt. Then my rig will be perfect on 33’s. If I do decide to go to 35’s I’ll MCE or Highline. I’m not sure with 3” SL and 1.25” BL I can run 35’s with MCE fenders. Maybe you can straighten me out on that question. Yes, no, maybe, more bumpstop? 

Spokane, east side. Not as much wheelin over there but I hope to make it out to Rimrock area.